Sunday, January 25, 2015

"No one has any less or more right to be who they are." 2:15 mantra, 6:45 contemplation

No one has any less or more right to be who they are.  This is kind of abstract.  What does it mean for some to be who they are.  We all have the right to express who we are.  Even devaluing, dehumanizing, hating and harming.  I take exception to these because they cause suffering among us and happiness is a fundamental value of mine so those things conflict with who I am.  We are who we are.  We can choose to change ourselves, but then who we are determines the will to do that.  I think if someone is seeking true inner peace and happiness, that which is the truest happiness, then they will not be one with those harmful values.  I can choose how I react to someone who lives by those sins.  Yes, let me call them sins because for me they are sins.  Sin is something that undermines love and happiness.  I don't want that to be judgmental though.  Being judgmental basically means deciding whether someone has the right to be who they are or not.  I just want to use sin to mean action that causes suffering.  So, is it okay for me to want to change them.  It is okay for me to want them to be happy and those actions cause suffering.  So it is okay for me to desire they want to be happy and so it is okay for me to desire they want to change.  If they choose not to change, then they will face consequences.  I don't mean that in a negative way, just that for every way of living there will be consequences and living harmful lives has it's own set of consequences.

Even the greatest of sinners are worthy of love even though their actions bring upon themselves the consequences of inner suffering and outer scorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment